Thank you for considering a food donation through FeedHV (powered by ChowMatch). Here are some of the basics about food donation via ChowMatch. Please review our Frequently Asked Questions and Liabilities pages for more information. You can also find helpful tips and resources here.
WHO CAN CONTRIBUTE?
Farmers, food establishments like restaurants, cafes, bakeries, and caterers, corporate dining rooms, wholesalers, manufacturers, hotels and institutions such as hospitals and universities.
WHAT TYPES OF FOOD ARE ACCEPTED?
Produce (fruits and vegetables), prepared but unserved foods and canned and dry goods. These items are high priority for recipient nonprofits and are relatively safe for volunteers to transport.
HOW MUCH FOOD SHOULD WE DONATE?
Please consider donating at least 10 servings as a minimum metric. If your donation is less, freeze and aggregate it until that threshold is reached. While there is no maximum for deliveries, please include the amount in your pick-up instructions so that very large donations can be directed to the Food Bank of the Hudson Valley.
ITEMS WE CANNOT ACCEPT:
- Food prepared in home kitchens. All food must come from a regulated or licensed food business or farm.
- Prepared foods not properly stored, previously served, or not packaged for delivery.
- Fresh meat, seafood or game or unpasteurized milk/products.
When you donate excess food, you are directly helping hungry people and mitigating the environmental impact and expense of throwing out edible food. Donations are tax-deductible and farmers can receive federal tax credit for donations. In addition, recent legislation has made it possible for farmers to receive tax benefits for their contributions. Consult your tax adviser in applying the appropriate deduction.
HOW IT WORKS:
- Schedule a pick-up through the ChowMatch app.
- Provide information about the type of food being donated and the logistics.
- Get automatically matched with a recipient organization through ChowMatch. When a match is confirmed, you will be notified by email.
- Volunteer food transporters are alerted to the opportunity to pick up via email.
- Once a volunteer transporter is confirmed, you will receive a second email containing pick-up details and the volunteer’s contact information.
- At the agreed upon time, your donation is picked up and delivered to the recipient organization. Thank you!
- After the pick-up is complete, provide feedback on your experience.